While we've all heard about Scrooge in The Christmas Carol, stinginess can go way beyond money. I thought about the ways generosity and stinginess manifest in writers. Here are a couple of lists on the subject:
1. With compliments - The writer who never encourages someone else.
2. With time - The writer who refuses to do anything that doesn't benefit them in some way.
3. With guidance - The writer who sees a fellow traveler struggling with issues he/she has conquered, but doesn't share the solution.
1. With gratitude - A writer who expresses appreciation.
What does this look like? A) Thanking people who "Like" their author page on Facebook, B) Writing acknowledgements in their books, C) Passing it on to the next writer in line.
2. With thoughtfulness - A writer who thinks of others.
What does this look like? A) They do a review on Amazon, Goodreads, or their blog. B) If they're close, purchase their books and/or send a small congratulatory gift.
3. Returns the favor - A writer who reaches out to those who've helped them and supports the other person's goals.
What does this look like? A) Following their blog. B) Tweeting about their successes, C) Liking their author pages. You get the idea.
In the next post, I’ll talk about stinginess and generosity with readers.
Photo Credit: sciucaness