As a new author, I've learned a few interesting things about Social Media. I'm going to focus mainly on Facebook here, but it applies to all the favorite sites.
1. I have 2,600 Friends on Facebook, but only a fraction of them see my news feed.
2. Author Pages on Facebook detail how many people see my posts.
3. When The Moses Conspiracy launched, I had posts everywhere: on my blog, all my social media venues, a blog tour, etc. I announced it in a monthly email newsletter. Still, people I consider closely connected said, "I didn't know you got a contract."
How can we maximize our reach? I've both observed and experienced several ways that work:
1. Those share buttons? Use them! They keep posts on the news feed, so more people have an opportunity to see them. Any of my posts that have gone viral were shared multiple times by others.
2. Join specialized Facebook pages, set up author pages where available, and check notifications for author invitations to "Like" their pages. They'll usually be happy to return the favor.
3. The best thing we can do is to care about people and apply the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Writers: What are some of the ways you maximize your reach?
Readers: What are some of the ways you find new book releases? Do you tell others about the books you enjoy?
Photo Credit: penywise