Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Author Interview & Giveaway - Kathryn Cushman - A Promise to Remember - Part 1
1) Welcome, Katie! How did you go from pharmacist to writer? Did you always want to write or did it sneak up on you one day?
I've always wanted to write. For as long as I can remember, writing a novel was something I was going to do "some day."
Several years ago, my husband's Uncle Charlie was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Charlie was still relatively young, in otherwise good health, and it got me thinking. "What would I do with a diagnosis like that? What would I regret?"
I have two daughters, so of course the obvious answer is that no mother wants to leave her children. But, I also realized that I had never even tried to do the one thing I'd always wanted to do. I began to pray about it and felt as though it might be a true calling. My younger daughter was just about to start kindergarten so I was going to have a little extra time. I decided that succeed or fail, I was going to be able to at least say I tried.
2) Why did you choose Women's Fiction over some other genre?
My first two manuscripts (never published) were actually romantic suspense. When I got the idea for "A Promise to Remember" and began working on it, I discovered that I liked writing books that have a bit of a moral dilemma to them--with no clear wrong or right side. So...that is where I have remained.
3) Can you tell us about your writing process? Seat-of-the-Pants or Plotter? How long does it take you to write a book?
I'm still trying to figure this out. :) I'm mostly seat-of-the-pants, but this has gotten me into trouble more than once, so I'm making a conscious effort to try to plan more. I'm currently working on a new idea, and I'm REALLY trying to plot it out more. We'll see how it works. :)
One book a year is the perfect timeframe for me. I've written faster this year, due to illness in my family and a couple of short deadlines, but I don't enjoy the process nearly as much when I'm rushed.
Stay tuned for Part II of this interview next Wednesday. Now, for the giveaway details:
1) Eligibility: This contest is open to residents of the U.S., but void where prohibited.
2) Leave a comment on this post with your email address in the spam-busting format. Example: susanjreinhardt AT gmail DOT com. Sorry, but no email address = no entry.
3) For an extra entry, please tell me you're a Follower or become a Follower. Maximum entries between the two blog interview posts: Four.
4) Deadline: Saturday, 11/20/10, at midnight.
5) Winner: The winner will be selected by random drawing on Sunday, 11/21/10 and notified via email. An announcement will be posted on the blog on Sunday.
6) Disclaimer: Neither the author nor the publisher sent me this book or requested a review. I'm giving away my personal copy.
Question for you: People talk about a "bucket list." Katie said writing a book was a life-long desire. What's on your "bucket list?"