Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Older and Wiser
No, this isn't the long-awaited conference report. I need some time to process and assimilate events. :)
Here's my personal list of ways I'm older and wiser:
1) Comfort (as in sneakers) trumps making a fashion statement. Don't leave home without them, especially if you're attending a writers conference.
2) A guy on the check-out line turned to me and Mom and said, "I'm just standing here. I might as well load your groceries on the belt." Twenty years ago, I might have said, "Thanks, but I can manage." Today, I say, "Thanks, how kind of you." Why throw my back out from all that bending and twisting?
3) I've learned the value of teamwork instead of insisting, "I can do it on my own."
4) Moaning about how much I still don't know about writing has given way to thanking God how far He's brought me.
5) Traveling light has always been a foreign concept to me. I'd take my entire wardrobe if I could. Now, that I have to haul the luggage into my trunk, I see the wisdom of carting less stuff.
What have you learned over the years that has made life easier?