Monday, October 4, 2010
Quotes & Tips on Memoir Writing - Dr. John Perkins
1) "You've got to be the change you want to see. Reflect His image."
2) Dr. Perkins prayed until 4:00 A.M., waiting on the Lord for his message and the purpose of his being at the conference. "I'm here to rally you, confirming the importance of what you do."
3) Dr. Perkins and Steve Lawson are collaborating on a memoir of his life. "Memoir is a lot about reflecting on how other people affected your life."
4) "If you are practicing religion, you are serving self."
5) "God brings us to Himself individually, so we can serve Him corporately."
Here are some tips Steve Lawson gave about Memoir Writing:
1) It's slices and threads from your life with an overarching theme (forgiveness, a life transformed, etc.).
2) Know where you want to go and select the incidents.
3) Know your audience. What's important to them? Write to them.
4) What can you do in memoir? You're able to reflect on contemporary history. It's an eyewitness account. It's also a chance to look back.
I love the #5, which expresses God's care for us as individuals and as the Body of Christ. Do you see yourself only as an individual or as part of something bigger? Feel free to discuss any of the points above.